21st and 22nd April 2015
Background to the Colloquia Series
The Fashion Colloquia originated through a core network of 4 institutions, connected by their residence and involvement in the four big 'Fashion weeks' across the globe. These Institutions were the London College of Fashion - University of the Arts, London, Domus Academy - Milan, Institute Francais de la Mode - Paris and Parsons the New School for Design, School of Fashion, New York. As result, members of this core network used the occurrence of the fashion weeks to organise a series of colloquia from 2011-2013.
Their aim was to use the fashion weeks as a catalyst to challenge understandings regarding fashion across the globe. A rich variety of contributions (from academia, media and practice) have been enjoyed at these colloquia events and many have now been uploaded to the International Repository for Fashion housed at the London College of Fashion, University of the Arts London.
Call for Contributions
Following the success and interest generated from this first series – we have now developed a second series with a new group of partners. Our second series of fashion colloquium focuses on ‘emergence’ and how each location intends to contribute to the growing importance of fashion across the globe. Our first colloquia meeting took place in Amsterdam (with AMFI) in 2014. Now we would now like to introduce our next colloquia event which will be held in Shanghai at Donghua University.
Shanghai is emerging into becoming one of the most important, diverse and strategic cities in the World and likely to become a major player in the future of fashion. Yet are the challenges facing Shanghai and China similar or distinctive from other locations across the globe? What can we learn? To fully engage with these areas we will host the colloquium at the newly formed Shanghai International College of Fashion and Innovation at Donghua University.
This event is being held coincide with the Donghua Fashion Week which starts on 21 April. We will help/advise colleagues regarding attendance to the fashion shows, industry visits and exhibitions.
Fashion Colloquia Shanghai - Themes:
At each colloquium there will be a mixture of specific themes that are of particular relevance to the specific location – this will allow different sets of contributions to be invited for presentation and exploration. Some events at each of the colloquia will be streamed 'live' to pre-registered participants. We also aim to upload selected content from each colloquium to the repository.
We would welcome a wide variety of contributions (from workshops, academic papers, presentations, exhibitions etc.) able to respond to the following three overall themes:
- The future of Fashion Education across the world;
- Cultural differences for fashion education;
- The future of the Fashion Curriculum in light of new media;
- Fashion Education for the global citizen.
- Challenges to fashion information and communication in the digital age;
- The influence of media and celebrities for fashion;
- The importance of seasonal fashion shows coverage;
- Exploring the value of information packages such as trend forecasting for use with fashion.
- Networks of global fashion knowledge;
- The relevance of emerging fashion capitals in a multi-disciplinary and global context;
- The perception of high/luxury fashion in a cross-cultural and trans-historical perspective;
- The diversity of fashion aesthetics within different age groups.
We are looking to invite contributions from across the world to:
- Provide a workshop platform for local and international delegates.
- Respond to the theme – either via exhibitions, workshops, academic papers or surprise us!
- Explore Shanghai and attend Shanghai International Fashion Cultural Festival.
Admission to the events will be free to all participating academics –
However, you must register
Register to Attend Fashion Colloquia 2015
If you are interested please contact: email@example.com
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES FOR ABSTRACT/PROPOSALS
Please complete author(s) details as requested:
- Abstract/Proposals/contributions deadline is 30th November 2014.
- * We have received requests asking for an extension to the deadline - in these circumstances, we are able to accept late submissions for this colloquium until the 20th December 2014. However please submit as soon possible.
- Use MS-Word
- Font: Arial font size 11
- Paragraph alignment: Justified
- The maximum is 500 words including title and keywords
- For further information please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fashion Colloquia Shanghai Conference Organising Committee
- Add:NO.849 West Zhongshan Rd., Shanghai, P.R. China 200051
Copyright @2014 DongHua University